Sunday, October 07, 2007

An Unexpected Call

My friend Becky has been going through a rough patch. She lives very far away so it is not like I can get in the car and drive to her house. Also, I have never met her.

If you knew me in real life you would know that I am shy and not very chatty at all. The gift of chat is not in me, or my sister or my brother.

I am not really comfortable in social settings so I set up a front. If you were to look at me, you'd probably thing that I am antisocial and stern...that is just a front. If you were to take the time, you'd find out that I am a BIG sap and likeable. But everyone is always so busy with their fast paced lives that they miss out.

Anyway, getting back to Becky, I have been thinking a lot about her lately so I got up my nerve and gave her a call. It is funny that I hesitate to call her as we know so much about our lives. Once I got over my initial fear, we got going and chatted about this and that for quite a while. It was kind of strange...it felt like I was chatting with a long lost friend that came back to town...that comfortable. And remember that I tell you that I don't chat much, I fear that noone is going to believe that anymore as I was on the phone with her for over an hour!

I could have talked to her for another hour but I had just returned from the park with Kaylie and had to cook. So I was cooking while chatting with her and somehow dinner turned out fine. By the time the conversation ended, I was ready to set dinner on the table. :)

I am glad I gave her a call and will do so more often.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to say, I was TOTALLY surprised that you called, Kait. I knew what a huge deal that was for you, because I know you're not a social butterfly. I knew that was out of your comfort zone, and I appreciated it SOOOOOO much. I enjoyed talking, too, just like we'd been apart for a while and had to catch up! She's got an adorable accent, folks! Really cute! And the quote of the day from Kait, that I treasure: "You sound so young!" Yay! Thank you for calling, Kait...you'll never know how important that was! Really! Just what I needed!