Monday, September 10, 2007

TODAY IS THE BIG DAY!

I am not sure if I should be happy or sad. My kids are finally going to school full-time.

I am concerned with Liam. He is extremely bright, but has a hard time following directions. He is impetuous and prone to only hearing what he wants to...I call it SELECTIVE HEARING. I have visions of him getting into so much trouble at school that I might actually have to get a job at the school to keep them from calling me ALL OF THE TIME.

He can already read from the newspaper and undertands big words...and uses them in the right context, too. However, he is like a parrot...repeats everything he hears on his cartoons.

For example, I don't like him to watch The Fairly OddParents. The star of the show, Timmy Turner, is 10 years old. On one episode he gets his report card or test (can't recall which) in which he got an E (or F for failure). When Timmy sees this he says, "Oh My God, My Mom/Parents are going to kill me when they see this." Wouldn't you know that a few days later he is playing with Kaylie and obviously did something wrong and says to her, "OMG, MY MOM IS GOING TO KILL ME when she sees this! If you were a regular joe or jane off of the street listening to this conversation, you would walk away with the impression that this is something that we have said to him previously. BUT YOU WOULD BE WRONG.

This type of language has no room in my house. I really dislike to see 5 or 6 year olds running around using vulgar language like it is nothing...something common place. The problem becomes mine when my kids associate with these kids in school and pick up their language. Don't get me wrong, I know that this is what they are exposed to and learn from their parents, but I don't have to like it.

Let me change the topic. On to Kaylie. She is such a great little girl. I wish I had 100 more like her. She is excited about starting school again and is looking forward to meeting her teacher and classmates.

I got to go...got to wake up the kids and get them ready for school.

Be back later. Adios! Wish me luck!

No comments: